Monday, August 6, 2012

Starting today - Dining set

This was a much bigger project than I anticipated. I left the house at around 9am for supplies, knowing what I needed. In the store(s), I could not find the supplies I was looking for. Nobody would help me. (I have to admit, I did browse a bit)

At 11 I arrived home with most things I needed. I bought Zinsser 1-2-3 primer, sanding pads for my mouse sander and Varathane polyurethane (not really what I was looking for I hope it works). Then we took Table and it's leaf out on the deck and put it on a drop cloth.

I usually keep this table round, it takes up less space. It has a very large leaf we use when we have company.  I prefer a round table because we have 5 in our family (one of the reasons this blog is so scattered) and we can keep it small and still fit around it.

I lightly sanded the top of Table with my Mouse. (In hindsight I wish I had sanded it much, much more) (yes, I love parentheses) :) Here are some pictures of day 1.

   Then, my 11 year old Daughter and I, carefully cleaned the table with vinegar and water. We even used an old toothbrush in the detailing and the edge on the side.
Here comes the primer! I probably went overboard with 3 coats.


Might I add it was a record breaking 92 degrees yesterday? I made Hubby get out the camping sunshade so the paint wouldn't bubble. The friendly professional painter that lives next door gets credit for this reminder.
Paint: I used leftovers from the gust bathroom. Shiny white trim paint (an actual white color, sorry I don't remember the name of it) for the pedestal, and Gray (I think It is Pencil Point) for the top.


After all the primer, the pedestal trim paint went on beautifully with one coat, I almost wished I had used it on the whole table. (too late). The next dilemma, to leave Table outside or bring it in. Despite it still being 90 degrees at 8pm, it was still a bit tacky. (perhaps the 6 layers of paint) It can get dewy in the night here in rain country, so in it came.


 After a brief freak-out, (hey, I was really tired), hubby calmly brought the paint back in from the garage and handed me a couple of really nice little touch up brushes. Good as new.

Good enough anyway.
I am now going to attempt to apply the polyurethane, in the kitchen, with 3 kids running around. (Yes, the windows and doors are all open.)



No comments:

Post a Comment