Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Slowly, slowly, the cabinet painting begins.

 Plate cabinet before. It's blurry, and I had already taken off 1 side, but you get the idea.

I cleaned, and cleaned, the cabinet doors with TSP. If you use this, wear gloves! Despite the fact that I do wipe down the cabinets about once a month, they were really icky. I did NOT sand them. I primed them with Zinsser 123 primer.  It is a bonding primer that  sticks to shiny surfaces. I felt that the spots on my kitchen table that were not sanded, came out so much better. This primer is great, and it dries fast.
These are not the doors for this cabinet. One of them fell off in my hand when I opened it one day, so I just took it off and started on that one.

I painted them with Behr Ultra Semigloss in Gallery White. I also used this on the pedestal of the kitchen table, and I was VERY pleased with the results.


Primed and painted the cabinet box.

For no particular reason, Refrigerator #2. (I love it, but it's going back because it doesn't work properly)
 I primed the doors to the cabinet on the left today. It's slow going for several reasons, one of them being that I only have 1 set of sawhorses. It may take until January, but I can't wait to see it finished!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a difference. It looks like quite a project. Definitely scares me a little to try anything.

    ReplyDelete